Boris Johnson makes a new change

The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom has promised Marcus Rashford he will correct “unacceptable” free school meals hampers being delivered to eligible families.

An angry mother under the username ‘Roadside Mum’ posted a picture which was shared more than 30,000 times on social media.

It showed a loaf of bread, a bag of pasta, one can of baked beans, some cheese, three apples, two carrots, one tomato, two baked potatoes, two bananas, two malt loaf snacks, and three snack-size tubes of fromage frais.

She claimed she had been sent just a few pounds’ worth of food to feed her child for 10 days instead of being given the £30 promised by the scheme.

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said he was “absolutely disgusted” when he saw the picture.

Speaking at a select committee hearing on Wednesday, he also promised to “name and shame” providers of the food parcels who deliver sub-standard meals.

Marcus Rashford campaigned for families eligible for free school meals to have the option of food parcels while schools are shut under national lockdown in England.

“Just had a good conversation with the Prime Minister,” Rashford tweeted on Wednesday. “He has assured me that he is committed to correcting the issue with the food hampers and that a full review of the supply chain is taking place.

“One thing that is clear is that there was very little communication with the suppliers that a national lockdown was coming,” said Rashford.

“We MUST do better. Children shouldn’t be going hungry on the basis that we aren’t communicating or being transparent with plans. That is unacceptable.”

Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner said: “If the government is allowing companies to make money by providing cut-price meals for hungry children, we will fight for change. No child should be going hungry.”

0

Leave your comment on this