Reports have it that the two staffs of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) were working when power was suddenly restored, which led to their electrocution.
The incidence which happened in Asaba, Delta State, has led The Director-General, Young Nigerians Organisation, Victor Ojie, to accuse the electricity company of not providing required safety gadgets for its workers.
“Over time, this ugly trend has been happening in Delta State; employees of the BEDC have been dying on the job. I wonder why the company cannot provide safety gadgets for its workers,” Victor told Punch.
Reporting how the electrocution occurred, Victor told Punch:
“When the workers want to go to the field, they usually switch off power lines that link to the area of work. After finishing the work, they will radio the office to switch the power on. Some of them sabotage themselves by switching it on while work is still ongoing, but if they have a safety guard, they will not be electrocuted. The families of the victims are in pain now; so, we urge the BEDC to compensate the families.” he added.